Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Cats - The Great Communi(cat)ors

I don't own a pair of binoculars, but I've taken up "bird watching"...sort of.

The bird watching was something I fell into, and I have one friend (BFF) to blame...My cat!  Or, Best Feline Friend, is the friend responsible for me watching birds, more specifically, crows.

You see, in an effort to learn more about cats, and their instinctual survival habits, I started running to the window whenever I heard crows.  I initially did this, to alert her that there were these big, shiny, black birds flying about the nearby rooftops, so she could have some form of entertainment when I was away.

However, as I did this, I was actually watching both my cat, and the crows (and the random sparrows, and occasional doves).  Seeing her ears go flat, and to the side, and tail swishing about intently while hearing the crackling sound most cats make when they see birds [insert theory of what crackling means here], was fascinating!  I mean, in the wild, she would do this as a way to scope out and stalk prey...so she could eat and survive.

Sure, she's a domesticated animal that cuddles with me every night, greets me in a 'happy to see you, and please rub my belly' posture when I arrive home, but she is still part felis catus...my own personal mini panther; she is black.  She is beautiful.

Crows are many in my neighborhood.  Also (I hope), not many people's cats are allowed to roam outdoors, for many reasons (health concerns, cruel humans, cars, etc.).

I guess, in an effort to understand my cat, and better communicate with her (she already understands about 10+ words...yes, some of those are names of food), I think getting to really understand her nature is a good place to start.

One thing she is great for, is catching (and eating) bugs in the apartment!  Admittedly, many bugs scare the living @#!$%?! out of me!  When I notice a moth, silverfish, or other entomological critter invading our home, and she isn't in the room...I call her name and (are you sitting down?), she comes running in.  Yes. My cat knows her name, and usually comes when I call her; it may be because I don't just call her to amuse and entertain those other humans who don't believe me.  I only call her with a specific purpose...like saving "mommy" from the frightening, yucky bug!

If I see a bug, and make a motion like I am 'pawing' at something, she will run over to investigate; same with running to the window and staring out.  This is something cats who live in a clowder do.  If one is hunting, the others want in on the action too.

I do have to confess to something...I once brought out a little, plastic step stool...to aid her in reaching a moth in the hallway.  Is that the same as being an accomplice?

Why do I kind of get a hint of adrenaline when I hear crowing or chirping?  Your guess is as good as mine.  I'm a human, not a cat.  I think it's more that I am glad that my indoor-only kitty can still keep some of her wild instinct and live in harmony in our little abode.

Now, if you've got a cat(s) sharing your home, you don't have to search for bugs or even stare at birds in the garden if you want to be closer to your feline friend's natural self.  You may simply communicate the same way she/he does.

If your cat gives you the ever-respectful and loving gesture of the head-bunt, do it back.  Heard of the 'slow blink'?  This is like saying "I love you." to your kitty; presumably, the mother cat does it to her kittens.  Trust me, you would much rather slow-blink with your cat then have to bathe her like a mamma cat!

She also never fails to turn on the purrrrs while pawing gently on my face to wake me up for the breakfast feeding time.  If I ignore that (out of just being too tired to drag myself out of bed), then the most precious little meows begin.  Should I not respond to THOSE, then the meow yelling will ensue shortly thereafter.  If you have a cat, you know what 'meow yelling' is.  The cat thinks if she meows LOUDER, maybe she'll get her point across...much like some people who attempt at yelling to either a non-native language speaker or to a hearing-impaired person (they never get that isn't working).

Communication joined with enough play-time (especially at least 20-30 minutes play time for indoor kitties), helps build a strong human/kitty bond.  Some excellent interactive (meaning, you playing with the cat, not turning a device on and leaving the cat with a toy) cat toys:

Go-Cat Teaser Cat Catcher Wand Toy
Kragon Fly (Neoflies)
Jackson Galaxy Ground Prey Wand *(Money goes to cat charities)
Catnip Kicker Toy
Da Bird Feather Teaser

An excellent resource on all things cat:  Jackson Galaxy, Cat Behaviorist (aka, Cat Daddy from Animal Planet's My Cat From Hell series).  Jackson is truly gifted and gives great advice on everything you could possibly think of.  A cool, hot guy who's in a band and not only loves cats, but knows them better than anyone...HOT!!!

How do you communicate with your kitties (or doggies) ? :)

No comments: